Question Time!

As part of my project on Body Image I have interviewed various people in the community. I asked them about their views on body image and the impact that a 'negative' body image can have on the young people in their care. 

Carolyn Barr is a busy wife and mother of two children, a local primary school teacher and Head of the school's Foundation unit. She has a great love and enthusiasm for life and is a gifted and committed teacher who gives great care and attention to all of the children in her care.
I asked Carolyn if she would take a few moments to answer some questions for me and shed some light on the subject of educating young children regarding body image, from the perspective of an educator.

Did you always want to teach and who/what inspired you to become a teacher?

Yes, I've always wanted to be a teacher. I wanted to teach young children and to see that they learn.

Do you consider yourself to have a positive body image?
I’m happy with who I am. I don't take much notice of magazines etc but like most people, I’d be happier if I could be thinner – although that’s not a possibility at the moment with a bump on board!!

How important is teaching very young children about positive body image and do you think children that young can understand?
I don’t really think young children have any idea about body image. They recognise that they are different from their friends and most children are able to say what they are good at and why they like their friends. (This is in the new EYFS curriculum!) As a teacher, I will always comment on a child’s new haircut, glasses or shoes, especially if it is something that particularly interests the child.



Do you think the role of PHSE is important in schools?
PSHE is important, especially for younger children. However, I firmly believe that schools are being asked to tackle many more PSHE problems that should be addressed by parents and not primarily by teachers.

In your opinion is the problem of bullying, peer pressure, body image and mental health more of a problem in primary aged children today?
I think it can be, although I’ve not experienced an increase in these problems at the school I teach at. I think body image problems come down to too many pictures in the public domain of super skinny models and not realistic women.

How do schools combat the issue of negative role models both in society and in school?
For younger children, they are taught about stranger danger and who to ask for help from in the local community. As children get older, they look more at positive role models within society rather than negative ones. I’m unsure as to what, secondary children would learn as I only see it from the primary side.

Who influenced you to become a teacher to teach children PHSE?
No one influenced me. I teach PSHE as it is part of my curriculum and I feel that for Reception children, it is essential. If they don't know how to make friends, share, be respectful of each other, then it becomes very difficult for them to make these steps as they get older.

What would you like to say to anyone reading this article?
Parents and teachers need to work together to make each individual a well rounded person, who is happy to be themselves and respectful of others’.





Comments

Popular Posts