Beastly...

I sat down last night and decided to watch the film 'Beastly.' At first I didn't know what to expect, thinking it was just going to be a modern copy of the original Disney 'Beauty and the Beast,' which is what the film was based on (obviously). It wasn't until I was half way through when I started to understand the message it was trying to give, and how deep it was going to go.


It is a story of a teenage school boy called Kyle who thinks being pretty, handsome and popular is all that matters in the world. He is a bit of a big head when it comes to giving his opinion, until he bumps into a strangely dressed, curious girl called Kendra.
Little does he know that she is a witch in disguise, and when she confronts him at the school dance, she casts a spell on him and he transforms into a beastly looking boy; his image reflecting on his character and personality on the inside. Kendra casts the spell to give him a second chance; to change who he is now to become a better person. Kyle has just one year to try and find true love and a girl that will tell him that she loves him. Only then will the spell be broken and his image reversed back to his normal self.
Throughout the film, we see that he struggles to understand the importance of personality over looks, and when he comes across the beautiful Lindy, he notices that she isn't just beautiful on the outside but also within. She changes him into something new, someone who wants others to be better off than him; such as his housemaid and tutor - who both have problems of their own.
Will he be able to change in time and make the girl fall in love with him before the year is up? Or will he have to stay beastly forever?
I won't give the ending away but we all know the story ;)

What I'm trying to get at - is what we receive from the message of the film and how it can help us to understand, is the importance of the beauty within us.
All of us at one point in our lives have felt that their image is important to them, and that they think people's views of themselves are valuable to them. Just like Kyle this attitude can form the way we think and see the form of beauty; turning it into something visible rather than something that grows deeper than skin.
Being pretty or handsome isn't what it's all about, that's just an aspect that people have begun to value more over the real meaning of beauty. Being beautiful is being kind, loving, helpful, gracious, caring, truthful and so much more important than having the perfect body, perfect hair, soft skin, bride white teeth, the latest clothes. BEAUTIFUL means so much more and can make you a happier, friendlier person than you could ever picture yourself to be. Being beautiful on the inside is like the foundations of a glorious sunrise; the good stuff from within will shine out to those who see you passing by day by day.

I just want to leave you with a quote, which left me on the brink of tears at how true and completely wonderful it is, and I hope that you come to realise the truth too because it can make you a much better person, and it really will show. Plus check out the movie! It's great and I'm not into alot of stuff like that with all the magic and sorts, but it's not bad at all, not bad :) Peace out Ya'll!
 "I just was scared that you didn't love me. And I didn't think you could because of how ugly I am. I should've known better. That's not who you are. You took one look at me and still said you'd seen worse. And somehow, when I'm around you, I don't feel ugly at all."

Comments

Popular Posts